- Yield: 12-15 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: About 1 hour
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese (any flavor, pick your favorite)
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts (2 sheets in a box)
- egg wash (1 egg + splash of water)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, red bell, coumin, cream cheese, and shredded cheese.
- Unroll the pie crusts onto a lightly floured, flat surface. Cut out into rounds, using a 3-inch cookie cutter. ( 2 – inch is ok)
- Re-roll dough as needed. Repeat procedure with remaining pie crusts.
- Arrange the rounds on a clean, flat surface. Place a small spoonful of chicken mixture in the center of the round. Fold dough over filling, pressing edges with a fork to seal. Repeat until finished.
- Arrange empanadas on a prepared baking sheet. Brush with an egg wash. Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Ovens vary so keep watch them closely.
Inspired by a recipe from Paula Deen.